The 5 day light festival last day of Diwali is celebrated as Bhai Dooj or Bhaubeej. Bhai Dooj is a celebration of brother and sister’s love, broken love, faith and respect festival. According to the Hindu calendar 2023, Bhai Dooj is celebrated every year on the 2nd day of Shukla Paksha in the month of Kartik. In India, this festival is also known by other names, such as Bhai Bhai Tika (भाई टीका), Bhaiya Dooj (भैया दूज), Yam Dwitiya (यम द्वितीया), Bharat Dwitiya (भारत द्वितीया), etc.
This year, this day dedicated to siblings is to be celebrated on Wednesday, 15 November, 2023 and the auspicious muhurat or Aparahna time to do tilak is from 01:10 PM to 03:19 PM. Bhai Dooj (भाई दूज) always comes the second day after Diwali 2023. According to Hindu beliefs, on this day the sisters invite the brother to their house or sisters go to her brother’s house to tilak him and wish him long life, happiness and prosperity. On this day, sister is doing tilak on her brother’s forehead. In return, the brother give promises to protect his sister. This day is very auspicious for a brother to dine at his sister’s house.
According to Hindu mythology, the symbol of death ‘Yamraj’ is also worshipped on this day. During this time, sibling meals on the banks of the Yamuna are considered extremely beneficial. On this day, the sisters worship for the good wishes of the brother, doing vrat, puja and tilak to her brother. This time the tilak of Bhai Dooj falling on Tuesday will be done in auspicious and shubh moments. Let us know the Bhai Dooj 2023 tilak time and shubh muhurat with puja vidhi in details.
Bhai Dooj 2023 Date and Tithi (भाई दूज 2023 तिथि)
- Tuesday, November 14, 2023
Bhai Dooj 2023 Shubh Muhurat and Puja Time (भाई दूज शुभ मुहूर्त और समय)
- Bhai Dooj Shubh Puja Time : 01:10 PM to 03:19 PM
- Dwitiya Tithi Starts (द्वितीया तिथि आरंभ) : 02:36 PM on Nov 14, 2023
- Dwitiya Tithi Ends (द्वितीया तिथि समाप्त) : 01:47 PM on Nov 15, 2023
Bhai Dooj 2023 Tilak Muhurat Time (भाई दूज तिलक लगाने का शुभ मुहूर्त)
- Timing of Tilak on Bhai Dooj (भाई दूज अपराह्न समय) : 01:10 PM to 03:19 PM
- Tilak Duration : Total will be of 02 Hours 09 Mins
Bhai Dooj 2023 Shubh Choghadiya Time (भाई दूज 2023 चौघड़िया)
- Roga – Evil : 06:43 AM to 08:03 AM
- Udvega – Bad : 08:03 AM to 09:24 AM
- Chara – Neutral : 09:24 AM to 10:45 AM
- Labha – Gain : 10:45 AM to 12:05 PM
- Amrita – Best : 12:05 PM to 01:26 PM
- Kala – Loss : 01:26 PM to 02:47 PM
- Shubha – Good : 02:47 PM to 04:07 PM
- Roga – Evil : 04:07 PM to 05:28 PM
- Kala – Loss : 05:28 PM to 07:07 PM
- Labha – Gain : 07:07 PM to 08:47 PM
- Udvega – Bad : 08:47 PM to 10:26 PM
- Shubha – Good : 10:26 PM to 12:06 AM, Nov 15
- Amrita – Best : 12:06 AM to 01:45 AM, Nov 15
- Chara – Neutral : 01:45 AM to 03:24 AM, Nov 15
- Roga – Evil : 03:24 AM to 05:04 AM, Nov 15
- Kala – Loss : Kala – Loss
Bhai Dooj Puja Vidhi 2023 (भाई दूज की पूजा विधि)
- The next day send a invitation to your brother for food (भोजन).
- Greet the brother on his arrival.
- Get up in the morning and take a bath (as if you are bathing in Yamuna ji).
- Get ready to wear new clothes.
- Siblings both worship Yam (यम) and Chitragupt (चित्रगुप्त) together.
- Offer bhog (भोग), do Aarti (आरती) and chant mantras (मंत्र जाप).
- Give Arghya (अर्घ्य) to them.
- Prepare from Puja plate, fruits, flowers, lamps, rice (चावल), sweets, betel nut (सुपारी), etc.
- Make Aarti of broerh by lighting ghee lamp (घी का दीपक).
- Seeing the shubh Muhurta, apply ghee and rice tilak to brother (घी और चावल का टीका).
- Place vermilion (सिंदूर), paan (पान), betel nut (सुपारी) and dry coconut (सूखा नारियल) on the palm of the brother.
- Kalava was tied (कलावा बांधा) on the brother’s hand.
- Sweeten your brother’s mouth by feeding him paan or sweets.
- Sister wishes her brother a long life and happiness.
- Get them the food of their choice (पसंद का भोजन कराएं).
- Brother give a gift to his sister and resolve to protect (रक्षा का संकल्प).
Bhai Dooj Tilak Vidhi (भाई दूज तिलक विधि)
- First Worship Lord Ganesha by meditating.
- Prepare the puja plate.
- Place roli (रोली), akshat (चावल), gola (गोला) and confectionery (मिष्ठन) in the plate.
- Now make a square (चौक) on the north-east side of the house.
- Then sit the brother on the wooden board (लकड़ी की पटरी).
- Tilak the brother after seeing the muhurat.
- Feed the dessert with a ball (तिलक करें).
- After this, lovingly feed the brother (भाई को भोजन कराये).
Bhai Dooj Pauranik Katha in Hindi PDF (भाई दूज की पौराणिक कथा)
Bhai Dooj Aarti – Yamuna Ji Ki (यमुना जी की आरती)
Importance / Significance of Bhai Dooj (भाई दूज का महत्व)
This festival of Bhai Dooj, dedicated to this special relationship of siblings, is very important. On the day of Bhai Dooj, sisters are doing tilak to their brothers and wish them long life and security. She is making a square (चौक) on the ground with a mixture of rice flour. The purpose of this festival is to keep the love between brother and sister in this way forever. The bhai dooj parva is also gives us the message that relationships are more than all words. So we should try to celebrate this festival with great enthusiasm every year.