Brihaspati Vrat: A Comprehensive Guide to Rituals and Significance
In the realm of Hinduism, rituals and observances hold great significance. One such ritual is the Brihaspati Vrat, dedicated to Lord Brihaspati, the planet Jupiter. This auspicious vrat is observed by devotees seeking blessings for wisdom, knowledge, and prosperity. In this article, we will delve into the details of Brihaspati Vrat, including its significance, katha (story), aarti, puja vidhi (ritual), udyapan (culmination), niyam (rules), and a list of powerful mantras associated with this observance.
Guruvar (Thursday) or Vervar is dedicated to the god Brihaspati. Brihaspati Devta is considered to be the god of wisdom and education, his worship brings happiness, peace, wealth, education, sons, good fortune, virtue, and desired results in the family. People is doing Guruvar’s vrat for for early marriage expection. All these pleasures are attained by the blessings of Lord Brihaspati, but if Jupiter is weak in the horoscope of a person or is giving inauspicious results, then he has to face few kinds of problems in their life.
Significance of Brihaspati (Guruvar) Vrat
Brihaspati, also known as Guru or Jupiter, is considered the teacher of the gods. Devotees believe that by observing Brihaspati Vrat, one can gain his divine blessings for enhanced knowledge, intelligence, and spiritual growth. This vrat is also believed to negate the malefic effects of Jupiter in one’s astrological chart, leading to overall positivity in life.
As per the ritual, wearing yellow color clothes on Brihaspativar vrat, Thursday, It will reduce your defects. Taking a bath by mixing a pinch of turmeric in the bath water, will alos remove the Guru’s wrath. During Brihaspati or Thursday’s vrat, recite the story and offer water to the banana plant and do the prayers. On this day special blessings are obtained by worshiping Lord Vishnu and reciting Vishnu Sahasranamam.
Brihaspati Vrat Katha PDF Download
The legend behind Brihaspati Vrat is as captivating as its benefits. According to the ancient scriptures, there was a poor Brahmin named Varadharaja who faced constant financial struggles. He faithfully observed Brihaspati Vrat and, over time, his devotion and sincerity impressed Lord Brihaspati. The deity decided to test Varadharaja’s dedication and appeared in the guise of an old man seeking alms. Despite his dire circumstances, Varadharaja welcomed the old man warmly and offered his meal. Pleased with the Brahmin’s generosity, Lord Brihaspati blessed him with wealth and prosperity. This katha emphasizes the rewards of selflessness and devotion.
Performing Brihaspati Vrat: Brihaspativar Puja Vidhi
Performing the Brihaspati Vrat involves a well-defined puja vidhi. Here’s a step-by-step guide to the ritual:
- Preparation: Before sunrise, clean the puja area and take a bath to purify yourself.
- Setup: Place a yellow cloth on a wooden platform and arrange the idol or image of Lord Brihaspati.
- Offerings: Offer yellow flowers, turmeric, kesar (saffron), chana dal (split chickpeas), and yellow sweets to the deity.
- Prayers: Recite Brihaspati mantras and offer your prayers for wisdom and prosperity.
- Story Narration: Narrate the story of Brihaspati Vrat to all present.
- Aarti: Perform the aarti using aarti thali and offer it to Lord Brihaspati.
- Prasad Distribution: Distribute the prasad (blessed food) among family members and devotees.
- First, Wake up early in the morning and take a bath.
- Sit at the place of worship.
- Wear yellow clothes on the day of fast.
- Offer water to Lord Surya, Mother Tulsi and Shaligram God.
- After this clean the idol of God Vihsu.
- Bathe Lord Vishnu by adding a lot of water and turmeric (हल्दी).
- Put the yellow colored cloth after taking bath.
- Light a ghee lamp too.
- Chant 3 or 11 rounds of yellow rice and बृहस्पति mantra to the Lord.
- Worship banana and banana tree on this day.
- Worship with yellow sandalwood (चंदन).
- Put turmeric in water and offer it on a banana tree.
- Offer चने की दाल and dry grapes (मुनक्का) to the root of the banana.
- Perform the aarti of the tree by lighting a lamp.
- Worship Devguru Brihaspati with yellow flowers.
- Eat only yellow sweets, laddoos, yellow things made of gram flour (बेसन की बनी), yellow flowers, turmeric yellow rice, or saffron yellow rice etc.
- At the time of worship, being purified of mind, deed and words, for the fulfillment of desires, the story of Brihaspatidev read.
- Eat only once in a day.
- After Puja, Offer food to Brahmins and boys.
- Donate according to your ability.
Brihaspativar Vrat Aarti
According astrologers, we need to do fast of 16 Thursday (गुरुवार व्रत) in a year so that you get desired results. or when will be finished this vrat, you have to do Brihaspativar vrat Udyapan on 17th Thursday. If you are doing vrat with syste, there is never face the shortage of money in your house and your wallet is never empty.
In Sanatan Dharma Or Panchang, Lord Vishnu is considered as Adi Guru and Thursday is known as the day of Vishnu. According to the beliefs, there are many such measures by which the wrath of Lord Brihaspati can be avoided. By adopting these measures, the benefits are achieved. Let us know about the Brihaspativar vrat katha in Hindi and Niyam in details.
Brihaspativar (Guruvar Vrat) Niyam
Brihaspati Vrat is generally observed for a span of 16 or 52 Thursdays, depending on the devotee’s choice. Upon completing the chosen duration, an udyapan ceremony is performed to mark the culmination of the vrat. During udyapan, the devotee expresses gratitude to Lord Brihaspati and offers donations and food to Brahmins.
- The Bhraspativar puja should be done on Thursday according to the rituals.
- The fast should be started from the first Thursday of Shukla Paksha in any month.
- Need to do least 16 vrat must be observed for Guruvar fast.
- Donate gram flour items only.
- Eat gram dal etc.
- Do not eat salt on this day.
- Light a lamp in front of the banana tree to worship on this day.
- Must read the story of Brihaspati Guruvar.
- Yellow clothes should be donated on this day.
- If the last Thursday comes, then perform Havan on that day according to law.
Bhraspativar Guruvar Vrat Fasting Rules
- Don’t eat banana.
- Don’t eat khichdi.
- Don’t add oil on hair.
- Hair should not be washed.
- Hair should not be cut.
- Do not do Mopping in the house.
- Beard, hair and nails should not be cut on this day.
- Salt and Sour (नमक एवं खट्टा) should not be eaten.
- Junk should not be remoce from the house.
- Offering water to the root of a banana tree.
- Chant the 108 names of Lord Vihnu.
- Must use turmeric while worshiping.
- Donating sandalwood or turmeric is considered very auspicious.
- Men can do this fast for 16 consecutive Thursdays.
- Women or girls should observe this fast only when they can worship, they should not do this fast on difficult days.
Brihaspativar (Guruvar) Vrat Udyapan Vidhi Details
- When your vrat is completed on 7th or 16th Guruvar, then you can do Udyapan.
- One day before Udyapan day, bring this 5 things – Chana Dal, jaggery (गुड़), turmeric (हल्दी), banana, papaya and yellow cloth and keep Dakshina.
- Get up early in the morning and get ready.
- Clean the place of worship by sprinkling Gangajal.
- Wear yellow clothes.
- Install the idol of Lord Vishnu.
- Worship the banana tree in the temple or near your house.
- Light a lamp by offering water.
- Then worship Lord Vishnu with Shodashopchar (षोडशोपचार) worship method.
- Chant the mantras of Shri Hari.
- Do the regular puja as per Bhraspativar (Guruvar) Vrat Puja Vidhi. (If there is any mistake, apologize for it.)
- After worship, pray to Lord Vishnu that you have completed your fast according to your resolution so that may God bless you, and today you are going to do the worship for Udyapan.
- After worship, offer all the material to Lord Vishnu or a banana tree.
- All puja samagri donate to a Brahmin and take his blessings.
Brihaspativar Vrat Katha in MP3 and MP4 Video Download
Brihaspativar (Thursday) Vrat Samagri List
- Dhoti (धोती) – 1 Pair.
- Yellow Cloth – 1.25 Meters.
- Idol of lord vishnu (विष्णु भगवान की मूर्ति)
- Besan Ladoo (बेसन के लडू) – 1.25 kg.
- Munnaka (किशमिश) – 25 grams.
- Chana Dal (चने की दाल) – 1.25 kg.
- Yellow flower (पीला फूल), or flower garland (फूल माला).
- Banana (केला).
- Janeu (जनेउ) – 1.
- Jaggery (गुड़) – 250 grams.
- Deepak (दीपक) – 1.
- Ghee – 250 grams.
- Incense (धूप) – 1 packet.
- Turmeric Powder (हल्दीपाउडर) – 1 Packet.
- Camphor (कपूर) – 1 packet.
- Sindoor (सिंदूर) – 1 packet.
- Mango leaves (आम के पत्ते).
- Betel Nut (सुपारी).
- Coconut (श्रीफल)
- Wellow clothes (पीला वस्त्र).
- Banana tree (केले का पेड़).
Mantras for Brihaspati Vrat
Reciting mantras dedicated to Lord Brihaspati during the vrat can amplify its benefits. Here are some powerful mantras:
Brihaspati Prathna Mantra:
देवमंत्री विशालाक्षः सदा लोकहितेरतः।
अनेकशिष्यैः संपूर्णः पीडां दहतु में गुरुः।।
Brihaspati’s Tantrokta Mantra (बृहस्पति का तंत्रोक्त मंत्र):
To perform Havan with the help of Peepal and chant below Brihaspati Tantrokta mantra in 19 thousand times which is give blessings of Brihaspati Dev.
ॐ ग्रां ग्रीं ग्रौं सः गुरवे नमः।
बुद्धि भूतं त्रिलोकेशं तं नमामि बृहस्पितम।
ऊं बृं बृहस्पतये नम:।
ऊं अंशगिरसाय विद्महे दिव्यदेहाय धीमहि तन्नो जीव: प्रचोदयात्।
देवानां च ऋषीणां च गुरुं का चनसन्निभम।
Brihaspati Vrat, an embodiment of devotion and gratitude, holds the promise of blessings and growth for its observers. By seeking the wisdom of Lord Brihaspati, devotees open the doors to a life filled with knowledge, positivity, and prosperity.
- Thakur Prasad Calendar 2024, ठाकुर प्रसाद कैलेंडर 2024 PDF Download
- Telugu Calendar 2024, Panchangam with Festivals PDF Download
- Lala Ramswaroop Calendar 2024, लाला रामस्वरूप कैलेंडर PDF Download
- Assamese Calendar 2024 PDF, Assam Panjika 2024 with Festivals List
- Kalnirnay 2024 Marathi Calendar, कालनिर्णय २०२४ मराठी कैलेंडर PDF Download