Mokshada Ekadashi is a sacred Hindu festival that is celebrated annually on the 11th day of the waxing moon (Shukla Paksha) in the month of Margashirsha (Agrahayana). The word ‘Mokshada’ means “liberation from the cycle of birth and death” and This day is dedicated to worship of Lord Vishnu. It is believed that Lord Vishnu himself descends on earth on this auspicious day to bestow his blessings upon his devotees. It is believed that observing this fast cleanses one’s soul and brings them closer to moksha, or salvation.
Mokshada Ekadasi is also known as Vaikuntha Ekadashi which is fall on this month on 3rd December, 2022, Saturday. On this day, devotees are doing fast and pray for moksha, or liberation from the cycle of birth and death. Fasting on Mokshada Ekadashi 2022 is believed to help purify the soul and cleanse the mind and body of all sins. Those who observe a fast on this day are also supposed to bathe in holy waters, such as the Ganges river or any other sacred river.
On this day, along with Lord Shri Vishnu (भगवान श्री विष्णु), his eighth incarnation Shri Krishna (आठवें अवतार श्री कृष्ण जी) is worshiped separately. In the scriptures (शास्त्रों), the day of Ekadashi has been described as very sacred. Mokshada Ekadashi is considered to be the destroyer of attachment (मोह का नाश करने वाला उत्सव). It is written in the scriptures that during the time of Mahabharata (महाभारत) in Dwapar era (द्वापर युग), when Shri Krishna gave the knowledge of Gita to Arjuna, then the time of Mokshada Ekadashi was going on. That’s why it is also known as Geeta Jayanti (गीता जयंती).
मोक्षदा एकादशी कब है? (Mokshada Ekadashi Kab Hai)
This Mokshada Ekadashi, which is celebrated in the month of Margashirsha (मार्गशीर्ष मास), is celebrated on the Ekadashi date falling in Shukla Paksha According to the Hindu calendar 2022, this is the last Ekadashi of the year.
- Date : 3rd December 2022, Saturday
- Mokshada Ekadashi Tithi Starts : 05:39 AM on Dec 03, 2022
- Mokshada Ekadashi Tithi Ends : 05:34 AM on Dec 04, 2022
Mokshada Ekadashi 2022 Muhurat and Parana Time | मोक्षदा एकादशी व्रत पारण समय
- Parana Time : 01:14 PM to 03:19 PM On 4th December 2022, Sunday
- Parana Day Hari Vasara End Moment Time : 11:40 AM
Vaishnava Mokshada Ekadashi Date and Time
- Date : 4th December 2022, Sunday
- Parana Time for Vaishnava Ekadashi : 06:59 AM to 09:04 AM on 5th December, 2022
- Parana Day Dwadashi would be over before Sunrise
- Vaishnava Mokshada Ekadashi Tithi Starts : 05:39 AM on Dec 03, 2022
- Vaishnava Mokshada Ekadashi Tithi Ends : 05:34 AM on Dec 04, 2022
Mokshada Ekadashi Vrat Puja Vidhi | मोक्षदा एकादशी पूजा विधि
- Wake up early in the morning take a bath first.
- Wear new and clean clothes and follow celibacy.
- Clean the worship place and sit on the seat.
- On this day fasting is observed for the whole day. Vrat Starting from the night of Dashami, it ends in the morning of Dwadashi.
- Damodar and Krishna are also worshiped along with this Lord Vishnu (विष्णु के साथ दामोदर एवम कृष्ण की भी पूजा की जाती हैं).
- Invoke Tulsi and offer dalav flowers (तुलसी दलव फूल अर्पित करें).
- Offer vermilion (सिंदूर), roli (रोली), sandalwood (चंदन) and naivedya (नैवेद्य).
- After this worship of Lord Vishnu and take a vow (संकल्प) of fasting.
- Offer fruits, sweet, water chestnut (सिंघाड़े) and sugarcane (गन्ना) to Lord Vishnu.
- Now light a lamp and incense in front of Lord Vishnu and offer him fruits, flowers, arghya and bhog.
- Make all the members worship all the deities (देवताओं) including Lord Vishnu.
- Listen or read the story of Mokshada Ekadashi fast.
- Perform aarti to Lord Vishnu and Shri Krishna as well.
- After worshiping Vishnu Ji, chant the mantras with musical instruments like bell (घंटा), conch (conch) etc.
- In the evening, while worshiping Vishnu, recite Vishnu Sahasranamam (विष्णु सहस्रनाम).
- Charanamrit (चरणामृत) and Prasad should be distributed after remembering Vishnu.
- Eat only sattvik food to the fast (सात्विक भोजन).
- On the day of Dwadashi, wake up early in the morning and take a bath.
- Offer food to Brahmins and after that take food yourself.
- By observing this fast, the whole family gets happiness.
Mokshada Ekadashi Vrat Aarti | मोक्षदा एकादशी आरती
Mokshada Ekadashi Vrat Katha in Hindi PDf Download | मोक्षदा एकादशी व्रत कथा
Mokshada Ekadashi Puja Samagri List | मोक्षदा एकादशी पूजन सामग्री
- Idol of Vishnu (विष्णु जी की मूर्ति)
- Idol of Lord Krishna
- Clothes (वस्त्र)
- Tulsi (तुलसी)
- Sugarcane (गन्ना)
- Molly thread (मौली धागा)
- Rice (चावल)
- Flower (पुष्प)
- Wreath (पुष्पमाला)
- Coconut (नारियल)
- Betel nut (सुपारी)
- Fruits (ऋतुफल)
- Incense sticks (धूप)
- Lamp (दीप)
- Ghee (घी)
- Panchamrit (a mixture of raw milk, curd, ghee, honey and sugar)
- Akshat (अक्षत)
- Sweet Basil (तुलसी दल)
- Sandalwood (चंदन)
- Sweet stuff (मिष्ठान)
Importance/Significance of Mokshada Ekadashi | मोक्षदा एकादशी का महत्व
The reason why people observe a fast on this day is because it is believed that observing the fast leads to spiritual liberation. Those who observe the Mokshada Ekadashi vrat are supposed to bathe in holy waters and cleanses their soul of all sins. A person is freed from all sins (पापों से मुक्त) by fasting on this day of Mokshada Ekadashi Vrat. It is also considered auspicious for worshipping ancestors (मोक्ष को प्राप्त करने के लिए). It is said that on this day the forefathers get salvation (पितरों के पूजन) and get their blessings by the rituals performed according to the rules and regulations.