Dev Uthani Ekadashi (देवउठनी एकादशी) has special religious significance in Hinduism. We know the Ekadashi of Shukla Paksha of Kartik month as Devutthana Ekadashi or Prabodhini Ekadashi. This year Dev Uthani Ekadashi will be celebrated on 4 November, 2022, Friday and the tithi will start from 19:30 am on November 4, and will end on November 5, at 18.08 am. On the day of Dev Uthani Ekadashi. There is also a tradition of worshiping Tulsi Ji and Lord Vishnu’s deity (विग्रह स्वरूप) form Shaligram by marriage. In Hinduism, this day is considered very sacred, major worship of festival, auspicious and people do special puja programs and auspicious works in their homes.
It is believed that on this day Lord Vishnu wakes up after his long four-month rest or sleep. Tulsi is very dear to Lord Vishnu and after the awakening of Lord Vishnu Ji, Tulsi is first given to him along with water. This festival is mainly celebrated with great reverence in the states of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Jharkhand and Maharashtra etc. The festival of Tulsi Vivah is also celebrated on this day and all the auspicious functions like marriage, naming (नामकरण), mundan (मुंडन), janeu (जनेऊ) and griha prave (गृह प्रवेश) are also started.
Dev Uthani Ekadashi fasting is considered more fruitful as compare to other fast. From this auspicious day, God opens his doors. This day is also celebrated as Choti Diwali. By observing the fast of Dev Uthani Ekadashi, one gets the result of 1000 Ashwamedha (अश्वमेध) and one hundred Rajasuya Yagya (राजसूय यज्ञ) and also get rid of Pitra Dosh (पितृदोष).
When is Dev Uthani Ekadashi Date in 2022 (देवउठनी एकादशी कब है?)
According to the Hindi calendar, this Ekadashi falls every year in November and this time Dev Uthani Ekadashi is on 4 November 2022, Friday.
Dev Uthani Ekadashi 2022 Shubh Muhurat and Parana Time (देवउठनी एकादशी 2022 शुभ मुहूर्त और पारण समय)
- Parana Time : 06:36 AM to 08:53 PM on On 5th November
- Hari Vasara End Moment On On Parana Day : 17:06 PM
- Ekadashi Tithi Begins (एकादशी तिथि का प्रारम्भ) : 19:30 PM on Nov 3, 2022
- Ekadashi Tithi Ends (एकादशी तिथि का समाप्त) : 18:08 PM on Nov 4, 2022
Dev Uthani Ekadashi Puja Vidhu (देवउठनी एकादशी पूजा विधि)
- Wake up early in the morning take a bath first.
- Wear new and clean clothes and follow celibacy.
- Do not take onion (प्याज), garlic (लहसुन), meat (मांस), alcohol (मदिरा), stale food (बासी भोजन) on this day.
- Clean the worship place and sit on the seat.
- Make pillars around the Tulsi plant and decorate a pylon (स्तंभ) on it.
- Plant a gooseberry (अमला) pot with basil.
- Invoke Tulsi with Dasakshari Mantra (दशाक्षरी).
- Offer vermilion (सिंदूर), roli (रोली), sandalwood (चंदन) and naivedya (नैवेद्य).
- After this worship of Lord Vishnu and take a vow (संकल्प) of fasting.
- Draw the shape of the feet of Lord Vishnu in the courtyard of the house.
- Draw a picture of Lord Vishnu with Ocher (गेरू) in an Okhli (ओखली).
- Keep fruits, sweet, water chestnut (सिंघाड़े) and sugarcane (गन्ना) near Okhli
- Cover it with Daliya (डलिया).
- Now light a lamp and incense in front of Lord Vishnu and offer him fruits, flowers, arghya and bhog.
- Make all the members worship all the deities (देवताओं) including Lord Vishnu.
- Listen or read the story of Dev Uthani Ekadashi fast.
- Perform aarti to Lord Vishnu.
- After worshiping Vishnu Ji, chant the mantras with musical instruments like bell (घंटा), conch (conch) etc.
- In the evening, while worshiping Vishnu, recite Vishnu Sahasranamam (विष्णु सहस्रनाम).
- Charanamrit (चरणामृत) and Prasad should be distributed after remembering Vishnu.
- Call Lord Vishnu by blowing conch shell (शंख) and bell (घंटी) – उठो देवा, बैठा देवा, आंगुरिया चटकाओ देवा, नई सूत, नई कपास, देव उठाए कार्तिक मास..
- Eat only sattvik food to the fast (सात्विक भोजन)
- On the day of Dwadashi, wake up early in the morning and take a bath.
- Offer food to Brahmins and after that take food yourself.
Dev Uthani Ekadashi Vrat Katha in Hindi PDF (देवउठनी एकादशी की व्रत कथा)
Dev Uthani Ekadashi Aarti of Lord Vishnu (देवउठनी एकादशी की आरती)
Lord Vishnu – Dev Uthani Ekadashi Vrat Mantra (भगवान विष्णु को जगाने का मंत्र)
‘उत्तिष्ठ गोविन्द त्यज निद्रां जगत्पतये।
‘उत्थिते चेष्टते सर्वमुत्तिष्ठोत्तिष्ठ माधव।
‘शारदानि च पुष्पाणि गृहाण मम केशव।’
Dev Uthani Ekadashi Pujan Samagri List (देवउठनी एकादशी पूजन सामग्री)
- Idol of Vishnu (विष्णु जी की मूर्ति)
- Clothes (वस्त्र)
- Tulsi (तुलसी)
- Sugarcane (गन्ना)
- Molly thread (मौली धागा)
- Rice (चावल)
- Flower (पुष्प)
- Wreath (पुष्पमाला)
- Coconut (नारियल)
- Betel nut (सुपारी)
- Fruits (ऋतुफल)
- Incense sticks (धूप)
- Lamp (दीप)
- Ghee (घी)
- Panchamrit (a mixture of raw milk, curd, ghee, honey and sugar)
- Akshat (अक्षत)
- Sweet Basil (तुलसी दल)
- Sandalwood (चंदन)
- Sweet stuff (मिष्ठान)
Significance of Dev Uthani Ekadashi (देवउठनी एकादशी का महत्व)
Dev Uthani Ekadashi or Devutthana Ekadashi or Prabodhini Ekadashi is also known as other name of Tulsi Vivah. All auspicious works begin with this auspicious day. By fasting on this Ekadashi, man gets the bebefit of a thousand Ashwamedh Yagya (अश्वमेध यज्ञ). By fasting devoutly, human beings get ‘Prabodhini’ Ekadashi good health, wealth, perfect intellect, and happiness. Dev Prabodhini (देवप्रबोधिनी) means – to awaken the divinity in oneself. Prabodhini Ekadashi only means that people should now get up and welcome the deity (देवता) as a karma-dharma (कर्म-धर्म). It is believed that by listening to Dev Uthani Ekadashi vrat katha on this day, you can get Virtue equal to 100 cows. Those who meditate and perform rituals of this Ekadashi with their mind, their ancestors get rid of the sorrows of hell and go to the ultimate abode of Lord Vishnu.