Chhath puja (छठ पूजा) has special significance in Uttar Pradesh and especially in Bihar. This year, the festival of Chhath Puja 2023 will be celebrated on Sunday, November 19, 2023. Every year, people are are very excited for Chhath vrat. In eastern Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Jharkhand, the festival of Chhath is celebrated with great pomp. According to the Hindu calendar, Chhath Puja is performed on the Shashthi Tithi of Shukla Paksha of Kartik month. This four auspicious vrat starting with a bath and giving Arghya to surya dev on last day.
Chhath Puja is a very popular festival with its special identity in the world. This festival is also celebrated with great happiness in the Terai region of Nepal. Chhath Mai (छठ माई) and Sun God (सूर्य देवता) are worshiped in this festival. However, the festival will begin with Nahay Khay (नहाय खाय ) on 17 November, which will end on November 19, Sunday by offering Arghya (अर्घ्य) at sunrise. This vrat is doing for 36 hours of waterless fast to to please Chhath Maiya on this festival.
Chhath festival (छठ पर्व) ends by offering arghya to the setting and rising sun. This Chhath puja is celebrated twice a year, The first will come in Chaitra month and second vrat is coming in Kartik month. According to Hindu belief, the legend is prevalent that Chhath puja is associated to the Mahabharata period. Men and women both are celebrating parva equally and they are pray to Chhath Maiya for family happiness, wealth, success and desired results.
Anyone can observe Chhath fast because it has special significance in Hinduism. These vrat include holy bathing, waterless fasting and, standing in water for long periods, and offering arghya to sun. Let’s check out in details of Chhath Puja 2023 date with vrat katha in Hindi, puja vidhi, shubh muhurat timings and choghadiya
Chhath Puja 2023 Date (छठ पूजा 2023 तिथि):
- 19 November 2023, Sunday
Chhath Puja 2023 Shubh Muhurat (छठ पूजा अर्घ्य देने का शुभ मुहूर्त)
- Sunrise on Chhath Puja Day – सूर्यास्त का समय (संध्या अर्घ्य ): 06:46 AM
- Sunset on Chhath Puja Day – सूर्योदय का समय (उषा अर्घ्य) : 05:26 PM
- Shashthi Tithi Starts : 09:18 AM on November 18, 2023
- Shashthi Tithi Ends : 07:23 AM on November 19, 2023
Chhath Puja Dates in 2023 (छठ पर्व की तारीख)
- 17 November 2023, Friday – Nahay Khay (नहाय- खाय)
- 18 November 2023, Saturday – Kharna and Lohanda (खरना और लोहंडा)
- 19 November 2023, Sunday – Sandhya Arghya डूबते सूर्य का अर्घ्य
- 20 November 2023, Monday – उगते सूर्य का अर्घ्य
Chhathi Maiya – Chhath Puja Vidhi (छठी मइया – छठ की पूजा विधि)
Nahay Khay (नहाय- खाय)
Date and Tithi: 17 November 2023, Friday (Kartik Shukla Chaturthi)
This vrat will start from Nahay Khay on 17 November 2023. On this day, after cleaning the house, taking a bath with clean water of holy rivers or ponds, the vow of vrat is taken. On this day, most of the people are eating Chanadal (चना दाल), Bottle Gourd Sabji (लौकी की सब्जी), Pumpkin vegetable (कद्दू की सब्जी) and rice are taken. In the fasting, you can eat food only once on this day. Fried food is completely prohibited in this fast.
Kharna and Lohanda (खरना और लोहंडा)
Date and Tithi: 18 November 2023, Saturday (Kartik Shukla Panchami)
The second day of Chhath Puja is called Kharna or Lohanda. It is the main day of Chhath Puja. On this day, Devotees are doing vrat for the whole day, does not take even a drop of water before sunset. Special prasad of kheer is made on this day and kheer is taken as prasad at night. In the evening, kheer is made using rice (चावल), jaggery (गुड़) and sugarcane juice (गन्ने के रस), along with puris, date (खजूर), thekua (ठेकुआ), etc. Then he or she does not eat anything and does not take water till the sunrise after offering Arghya. The person observing the fast offers this prasad to Chhathi Maiya. They start the fast by taking prasad on the day of Kharna.
Sandhya Arghya (संध्या अर्घ्य : सूर्य को अर्घ्य देना)
Date and Tithi: 19 November 2023, Sunday (Kartik Shukla Shashti)
The third day of Chhath Puja is called main Chhath day. On the third day of Chhath vrat, women go to the pond or river in the evening and offer Arghya to the Sun. Here, after offering prayers to Chhath Maiya on Chhath Puja Bedi, after going back from the ghat, the tradition of filling Kosi (कोसी भरने की परंपरा ) at home is also performed.
Paran (समापन : पारण)
Date and Tithi: 20 November 2023, Monday (Kartik Shukla Saptami)
This Mahaparv will be end on 20 November this year. The fast is broken on the fourth or last day of Chhath Puja and Arghya is offered to the rising sun in the morning. After this the Chhath festival ends. Women go to the ghat of river to worship the rising sun in the morning and then stand in the water and offer Arghya to the sun. After this puja on last day, she comes at house and breaking the vrat by eating prasad.
- Two days before the Chhath puja on the day of Chaturthi, take food after retiring from bathing.
- On the day of Nahay Khay (नहाय- खाय) , all the devotees should consume only pure food.
- On the day of Kharna and Lohanda (खरना और लोहंडा), make jaggery kheer and poori.
- Offer it to the Chhathi maiya (छठी माता) in the evening.
- First, eat this kheer by the fasting (व्रती) themselves, later give it to the family and Brahmins.
- On the day of Chhath, fill the dishes with home-made foods and add in a big basket to go to the ghat.
- Make a home of reed (ईख ) on the ghat and light a big lamp diya.
- Get down to take a bath in Ghat or river.
- Offer Arghya (अर्घ्य) to Lord Surya by taking a stick in both the hands.
- On Panchami, offer Arghya to the Sun God after taking a bath in a pond or river in the evening.
- After sunset, go home with family and meditate on the Sun God at night.
- On the day of Shashthi, take a bath and then take resolution (संकल्प) in the morning.
- While taking a resolution, chant the mantras of these Chhath maiya.
- Listen to Chhathi Maiya song or read the katha.
- Staying vrat for the whole day and Neerja being waterless again go to the river or pond and take a bath.
- On Saptami, before sunrise, all the devotees will reach the ghat in Brahma Muhurta.
- During this, keep the baskets of dishes, coconut (नारियल) and fruits (फलों) together.
- All the fasting people should do the puja of rising sun and offer Arghya.
- Put banana (केला) and other fruits, alona prasad etc. in a bamboo soup and cover it with yellow cloth and offer Arghya.
- Then light a lamp and keep it in the soup.
- Taking the soup in both the hands, while reciting this Chhathi maiya mantra, offer Arghya to the Sun God after setting three times.
- Listen and read the story of the Chhathi maiya and distribute the prasad.
- In the end, after consuming all the fasting offerings, break the fast.
Chhath Puja Samagri List (छठ पूजा की सामग्री)
- Porridge (दौरी या डलिया)
- Sugarcane leaves (गन्ना पत्तो के साथ)
- Metal pot (लोटा)
- Lemon (नींबू)
- Custard apple (शरीफा)
- Soup – Brass or bamboo (सूप – पीतल या बांस का)
- Raw turmeric (कच्ची हल्दी)
- Apple (सेब)
- Banana (केला)
- Red vermilion (लाल सिंदूर)
- Orange (संतरा)
- Guava (अमरूद)
- Plate (थाली)
- Akshat -rice Pieces (चावल के टुकड़े)
- Coconut with water (नारियल)
- Turmeric (हल्दी)
- Kapoor (कपूर)
- Incense Sticks (धूप)
- Soothing (सुथनी)
- Sweet Potato (शकरकंदी)
- Big Lamp (बड़ा दीपक)
- Paan (पान)
- Betel Nut (सुपारी)
- Honey (शहद)
- Sandalwood (चंदन)
- Milk (दूध)
- Glass (गिलास)
- Sweet (मिठाई)
- Pure Ghee (शुद्ध घी)
- Dates or Thekua (खजूर या ठेकुआ)
- Kumkum (कुमकुम)
- Betel leaf (पान का पत्ता)
- Pua (पुआ)
- Pear (नाशपाती)
- Rice Good Laddus (चावल के बने गुड वाले लड्डू )
- Large bamboo basket (बड़ी बांस से टोकरी)
Chhath Puja (Chhathi Maiya) Vrat Katha in Hindi PDF (छठी मइया – छठ पूजा की कथा)
Chhathi Maiya (Chhath Puja ) Ki Aarti (छठी मैया की आरती )
Chhath Puja Vrat Niyam (छठ पूजा के नियम)
- Clean the house and place of worship on the first day of Chhuth Puja.
- Wear new clothes on all four days for Chhath festival.
- Women can wear sari and men can wear dhoti.
- For all the four days, the fasting person can sleep on a mat on the ground and use blankets etc.
- The fasting person and members of the household should not eat onion, garlic and meat-fish, alcohol during Chhath Puja.
- Do not use false things, anger (क्रोध), greed (लालच), smoking (धूम्रपान) etc.
- Must use bamboo soups and baskets for worship.
- Eat only satvik food in four days.
- Use a new stove, if possible.
- Use copper pot (तांबे के लोटे) during morning or evening arghya.
- Keep jaggery (गुड़) and wheat (गेंहू) flour thekua (ठेकुआ) in Chhath Puja, banana and sugarcane in fruits carefully.
- Sugarcane (गन्ने का प्रयोग) must be used to offer Arghya to Sun God in Chhath Puja.
- Offer Thekua and Kasar (rice flour laddus) to Chhathi Maiya and Lord Sun.
- The fasting should take food only after giving water to the sun on the first and second day.
Chhath Puja (Chhathi Maiya) Songs List
- Chhath Puja Spevial Special Uga Hai Suraj Dev | Anuradha Paudwal Song – Click Here
- घाटे भौजी डोले हे | Chhath Puja Geet | Chhath Puja Song Shilpi Raj Bahangi Lachkat Jay – Click Here
- Pahile Pahile Baani Kaile Chhathi Maiya | Chhathi Maiya | Chhath Song 2023 – Click Here
- दुलरी हमार छठी मईया | Chhath Pooja Video | Dulari Hamar Chhathi Maiya – Click Here
- Non Stop Chhath Pooja Song | छठ पूजा Special Geet – Click Here
Chhath Puja Mantra (छठ मइया का पूजा मंत्र)
ॐ सूर्य देवं नमस्ते स्तु गृहाणं करूणा करं |
अर्घ्यं च फ़लं संयुक्त गन्ध माल्याक्षतै युतम् ||
Significance of Chhath Puja (छठ पूजा का महत्व)
In Chhath Puja there are special significance for sunrise and sunset because it is most important times in a day in which our body can easily receive solar energy without any harm. According to religious belief, this great festival of faith is observed for the attainment of children and the happy life of the children. In this vrat, special importance is given to simplicity and purity. According to mythology, this worship was started by the son of Surya (सूर्य पुत्र) and the great warrior Karna (महान योद्धा कर्ण ). Especially in Eastern Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Jharkhand, this festival is considered very important. It is believed that by worshiping the Sun God and Chhathi Maiya on this day, the blessings of children’s happiness, prosperity and longevity are obtained. Chhath puja is also known as Surya Vrat (सूर्य व्रत), Usha Puja (उषा पूजा), Dala Chhath (डाला छठ), and Surya Shashthi सूर्य षष्ठी .